The Mississippi School for Mathematics & Science
1100 College St., # MUW-1627
Columbus, Mississippi 39701
Mathematics and Science Teacher: Mississippi School for Math and Science; 2008-present
· Teaches Foundations of Higher Mathematics, Trigonometry, Accelerated Algebra II, and Waves.
· Future Problem Solvers coach.
· Plans and moderates math contests.
Mathematics and Science Teacher: Hollandale School District, MS; 2003-2008
· Developed instructional activities for and taught 7th grade math, Pre-algebra, Transition to Algebra, 7th and 8th Grade Integrated Science, Algebra II, and Physics using the Mississippi Curriculum Framework as a guide. Lessons emphasize manipulatives, problem-solving and graphing calculators. Current teaching position is 7th grade Pre-Algebra and 8th grade Transition to Algebra.
· Coached track and field for grades 7-12.
· Coached and planned trips for MathCounts and Science Bowl teams using the national curriculum provided by each organization. Trips include competitions as well as excursions to local science research facilities and universities for tours.
a partnership with a local agricultural research facility. Researchers conduct
“Genes in a Bottle” and “Crime Scene” labs at
the 7th grade team of five teachers in all subject areas for
and Geometry Summer Institute:
· Participated in four-week long professional development course emphasizing the use and creation of problem-driven mathematics methods during the summer of 2006.
· Use many of the methods my current teaching position.
· Facilitated two days of the 2007 institute by preparing and implementing problem-driven math lessons for a group of 12 middle grades mathematics teachers.
· Co-taught four-week long institute during the summer of 2008. 12 teachers from grades 3-10 participated. Planned and executed lessons in all math content strands.
Champs Camp: Delta State University, Cleveland, MS, 2005
· Participated in two-week long professional development course emphasizing problem-driven mathematics methods and ways of incorporating vocabulary into math lessons during the summer of 2005.
· Use many of the lessons and activities to teach both math and science.
Intern: American Institute for Physics,
Investigated science outreach methods and policies
· Designed and constructed a physics outreach kit used by colleges nationwide.
· Presented outreach kit to NIST, NASA, and American Institute for Physics employees.
Math tutor/MathCounts coach: Snowden Middle, Memphis, TN, 2001-2003
· Tutored 6th-8th grade math students in need of individual attention.
· Planned and facilitated weekly extra-curricular math lessons for 8-10 8th graders.
Adopt-a-friend Project Coordinator: Snowden Elementary, Memphis, TN, 2000-2003
· Coordinated a mentoring program involving over 200 volunteers and elementary students.
and facilitated a hands-on lesson involving rational number concepts using an
adding tape number line to a group of
· Planned and facilitated a hands-on lesson using pattern blocks to develop two algorithms for fraction division. Over 30 math educators attended.
Industrial Physics Forum: San Jose, CA, 2003
· Presented educational outreach kit developed while working as a summer intern at the American Institute for Physics to a group of over 100 engineers and higher education physics instructors.
American Association of Physics
· Presented educational outreach kit developed while working as a summer intern at the American Institute for Physics to a group of over 25 college students and higher education physics instructors.
· Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM), 2005-present
· National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), 2006-present
· Graduated Summa Cum Laude with a GPA of 4.0
· Received “Outstanding Portfolio” honors
· Graduated Cum Laude with a GPA of 3.6
Leland Habitat for Humanity: Volunteer and board secretary 2005-2008
· Record and publish monthly minutes from board meetings.
· Complete manual work including painting, caulking, and installing floor tiles and vinyl siding.
Junior Auxiliary of Leland: Member, 2005-2008
· Purchase and deliver school uniforms for local families.
· Selected deserving families to receive thanksgiving baskets complete with the ingredients to make several meals. Planned and purchased supplies before helping to fill and deliver the baskets.