Research Paper Procedure and Instructions
Click on each headline to see a demonstration of the concept.
To see a graded final draft of a research paper click on Final Draft
- Letter of Interest. 25 points.
- The first step in developing your research is a letter of interest
- Mr. Jack L. Carter
- The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Sciences
- P. O. Box W-1627
- Columbus, MS 39701.
- This letter should briefly describe at least five of your personal interests. These interests may be in any field, specifically in literature, or interdisciplinary.
Topic Letter. 50 points. Filename: "Save As" your returned Letter of Interest with this file name: ulogin_toplet.doc. You should place into your folder in the Current Works Folder by the due date on weekly assignment sheet. Within your graded letter of
interest, you should have the following information:
- The important idea here is identify areas of study you have a burning desire to understand better. This letter should be placed into the Current Folder by the due date on weekly assignment sheet..
- Value of assignment is 25 test points. Filename: ulogin_letint.doc
- Feasibility Search in Library.
- You should indicate in different colored type what you found about each item directly underneath the item. Word should do this automaticlly for you.
You should take selected key words and search for further information about topics that most interest you which may be found in FANT library.
- Use 360 degree search or First Search if you have access to it.
- Copy your findings below the material I have in your letter under the search terms:
- Do the same with Internet and put the hyperlink under the key words of the search term as above.
- Or copies of Bibliographical information found at Fant/MSU library
and e-mailed to yourself. In other words paste a copy of the
e-mail so I can verify you did the search.
and Bibliography. 100 points. Filename:
login_olbib.doc should be placed into the Current Works Folder by he due date on weekly assignment sheet. I have put samples of this part of the
Research Assignment in the links listed below. At a bare minimum, you
- When you finish you should have a tentative bibliography of one or more search terms with at least 15 entries. Your entries should have at least 5 sources from Fant; the rest can be from Internet. Fant Sources should include both books and articles.
- A paragraph at end of this document in which you indicate your
choice, your reason for that choice, and your assessment of
the availability of information in Fant Library.
Draft. 200 points. Filename: login_rpfd.doc. should be
placed into the Current Works Folder by he due date on weekly assignment sheet.
The Final Draft includes corrected copies of the following items:
- Running Header with your last name page number right justified
- Heading with your name, teacher's name, course name, and date left
- Title of your paper centered
- Outline that follows the following format:
- A formal outline with Introduction, Development of Subtopics,
- Introduction should include:
- Page set-up: 8.5 X 11 paper, 1 inch margins, Times New
Roman, 12 point type.
- Thesis stated in sentence form.
- List of keywords for subtopics in topic form.
- The type of hook or Grabber to be used at beginning of
- Each subtopic should include:
- Topic sentence in sentence form.
- Bibliography in proper MLA style for that subtopic which is
left justified, hanging indented if necessary, double-spaced..
- Conclusion should include
- List of key points.
- Type of conclusion such as
- Summary or
- Logical conclusion or
- Expansion or
- Citation of authority proving your point or
- Combination of the above
A few ideas to think about:
- Page set-up: 8.5 X 11 paper, 1 inch margins, Times New Roman, 12
- Running Header last name page number right justified.
- Heading with your name, teacher name, course, and date left
- The title centered on page.
- Double-space all parts of your paper. 1 inch margins.
- Final Corrected Version of your Outline/Bibliography that
conforms to your final version of your paper.
- Heading again on new page to start text.
- Text that follows your outline with parenthetical citation of
reference in MLA style.
- You may have notes. (not required)
- You may have a glossary. (not required)
- Final Works Cited on a separate page or pages in proper MLA
- These procedures are designed to give you an orderly approach to
the research paper.
- Procedures by their vary nature require attention to details and
often methods different from your own. Part of your grade depends on
completing ALL PARTS of this assignment.
- Good research takes many weeks and takes the researcher to many
different parts of the library as well as a careful reading of the primary
item of analysis. Scientific research often requires many hours of
tedious, repetitious work on an experiment. Good research has few
- Excellent research stems from a burning interest in the topic and
a real desire to find something new or different in the work. From my
own experiences, the originality often comes from seeing relationships and
joining different points of view in a new or profound manner.
- Research should be a fundamental aspect of the life of a
scientist, academic, or professional person. We live in a rapidly
changing world. Research is the only way to keep up with the forefront
of those changes.
- All superior research starts with superior questions and the
quest to answer them. To expect to know the "conclusion" of your paper
before you read your primary or secondary sources is to expect the
mediocre. Let the topic guide you. Let your mind guide
you. To do so, you need to give yourself enough time.
Updated on 08/09/2010 by Jack L. Carter